Step 1: Request an allocation
The ALCF offers several allocation programs through which users can access our systems:
- New users should consider our Director’s Discretionary program.
- Experienced users will be interested in the INCITE, ALCC, and ALCF Data Science programs.
Step 2: Request an account
Users must establish an account on ALCF systems before they can access ALCF systems. Note that you need to have an active project (DD, INCITE, ALCC, ADSP, ECP, or ESP) before requesting an account.
You can request an ALCF account on our accounts page.
Step 3: Connect and login
Use your MFA token (mobile or physical) to login to the systems. Physical tokens must be activated before using them to connect to ALCF systems.
Open an SSH client and enter the ssh command to login:
Replace <your_ALCF_username> with your username and <ALCF_system_name> with the system name, for eg: theta, cooley.
- If using a physical token, press the button on your CRYPTOCard to generate a one-time passcode. Enter the passcode onscreen, prepending it with your four-digit PIN.
- If using a mobile token, enter your six-digit PIN in the mobile token application to generate a passcode. Enter the passcode onscreen.
Step 4: Learn to use our systems
- View the specifications of our computational systems
- Set up your environment
- Review data transfer options
- Explore compiling and job submission basics
- Search software and performance tools.
Step 5: Read our policies
Familiarize yourself with the various policies and procedures for ALCF users.
Step 6: Discover our training opportunities
We host workshops and videoconferences providing instruction in the latest tools, computational systems, and services we provide in support of scientific discovery.