The following guide is for PIs to prepare for the start of their Director’s Discretionary (DD) project.
Your project begins when you receive an allocation approval email with the following project information:
- Project Short Name: The assigned, shortened name for your project. This will be the name that you’ll use to access your project on the systems
- Allocation System(s) and Amount: The approved system(s) and amount of your allocation in node hours
- Approved Quota: The approved amount of your project directory’s quota
- Allocation End Date: The end date of your allocation
Helpful project management commands
- myprojectquotas: log into Theta and type this command to view the project directory quotas for ALL your projects
- myquota: log into Theta and type this command to view your home directory quota
- sbank allocation -p <%Project_Shortname%> -r all: log into Theta and type this command to view your project allocation on Theta
More information on using sbank (Allocation Accounting System) can be found at: https://www.alcf.anl.gov/user-guides/sbank
If you do not have an ALCF account, you will need to request one at https://accounts.alcf.anl.gov/allocationRequests. When prompted for project name, please select <Project_Shortname>.
If you have an active ALCF account, submit a request to join the <Project_Shortname> project at https://accounts.alcf.anl.gov/#!/joinProject
Foreign National Access Request Form
The U.S. Department of Energy has guidelines and requirements for foreign visitors who access its facilities and sites. This guidance is issued in DOE Order 142.3, which is part of Argonne's contract; therefore, all foreign visitors (non-U.S. Citizens) must obtain authorization prior to using ALCF resources.
If you are a foreign national and do not have current authorization credentials, you will require an ANL-593 (Foreign National Access Request) form. It is critical that documentation requests sent by ALCF staff are completed as early as possible to facilitate timely processing for your account approval.
Adding Project Members
As a PI, you have the ability to add members to your project and have the authority to:
- Approve and renew accounts.
- Add and delete users to/from the project.
- Approve Foreign Assignment/Visit Request form renewals for project members who are foreign nationals.
You must approve each member of your team by responding to requests from ALCF for account access approval with a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to gain access to ALCF resources and run jobs on the project.
Manage your Project
- If you have an active ALCF account, you can manage your project membership by logging into the following page on the ALCF account and project management website: https://accounts.alcf.anl.gov/#!/manageProjects.
- For more information on how to view and manage your project details once the project is created, refer to: https://www.alcf.anl.gov/support-center/account-and-project-management/….
Accounts for your New Project Members
New project members will need a user account to access project data and to run jobs on ALCF systems. Please instruct any members who do not have an ALCF account to request one at: https://accounts.alcf.anl.gov/#!/accountRequest. When prompted for project name, they should select your project short name.
Acknowledgment In Publications
Please follow the guidelines provided at https://www.alcf.anl.gov/user-guides/alcf-acknowledgement-policy to properly acknowledge the use of ALCF resources in all of your publications, both online and print.
Facility policies have been established to provide consistent and reliable services. Please read at: https://www.alcf.anl.gov/user-guides/policies
Requesting Additional Hours
As your allocation expiration date approaches, you may request an extension and/or more hours by filling out the form at https://accounts.alcf.anl.gov/allocationRequests with your request.
In the "detailed description" field, please answer the following questions:
- What you have accomplished with your original allocation? Please include a brief description of any publications or major presentations that were (or will be) generated, as a result of this Discretionary allocation.
- What will you do with the extra time?
- What you are requesting as your new expiration date? How many new hours you are requesting?